With the AAA forecasting that almost 50 million Americans will travel 50 miles or more from home this Thanksgiving Holiday, eDriving FLEET is providing the following safe driving tips:
- Plan your journey and leave enough time to arrive calmly and safely.
- Check your vehicle before travel. This includes fluid levels, lights, fuel, wipers and tire pressures. Carry an emergency kit with you including a blanket, de-icer, water, food, mobile phone, warning triangle and first-aid kit.
- Check the weather forecast before you leave. Avoid unnecessary journeys if the weather is bad.
- Get enough rest before your journey so you can stay alert! Plan for rest breaks every 200 miles/two hours to stretch your legs.
- Make sure your cell phone is fully charged and your friends and family know your travel route.
- Don’t set off until everyone in the vehicle is correctly buckled up!
- Watch your speed. Speeding reduces your reaction time in an emergency and increases the force of a collision. Always travel at a speed that enables you to safely stop in the distance you can see to be clear.
- Resist the temptation to “multi-task” on the road. Programme GPS before you set off. Put mobile devices away and avoid eating and drinking at the wheel.
- Never drive if you have had ANY alcohol. Leave your vehicle at home if there is any risk that you could be tempted to have a drink on a night out. Be aware of the ‘morning after effect’ as alcohol can still impair you the day after drinking.
- Look out for friends and colleagues. If you suspect that someone is going to drive after drinking alcohol encourage them to take a taxi, get a lift with a sober friend or stay over for the night.
Wishing you a SAFE and HAPPY Thanksgiving!