Delhi Police have relaunched a “Traffic Sentinel” app that enables citizens to report certain traffic violations.
To become a “Traffic Sentinel”, users are required to download the app and complete an enrolment. Reward points are allocated to citizens who report offences, supported by a clear photograph or video.
Points can be exchanged for prizes, including movie tickets, T-shirts and caps. “Traffic Sentinels” earning reward points beyond a certain level will be eligible for “bumper prizes” such as scooters and air tickets.
The Special Commissioner of Delhi Traffic Police, Ajay Kashyap, describes the app is an empowering tool in the hands of the common citizen who get a platform to report traffic offences.
Eleven traffic violations can be reported through the “Traffic Sentinel” scheme:
- Driving Against the Flow of Traffic, photo or video (5 reward points)
- Yellow Line Violation, photo or video (2 reward points)
- Parking on Footpath, photo or video (1 reward point)
- Triple Riding, photo or video (2 reward points)
- Defective Number, photo or video (1 reward point)
- Without Seat Belt, photo or video (1 reward point)
- Without Helmet Rider/Pillion Rider, photo or video (2 reward points)
- Stop Line Violation, photo or video (1 reward point)
- Red Light Jumping, video (3 reward points)
- Dangerous/Zig Zag Driving, video (2 reward points)
- Using Mobile Phone while Driving, video (2 reward points)
The app was initially introduced in 2015, but has been relaunched with additional features.