Cycle to Work Day will take place on 14 September 2016 and, if you haven’t already, now is the time to encourage your employees to take part.
Since its inception in 2013, employers have played a big role in making Cycle to Work Day successful. Taking part doesn’t have to be difficult; even a simple email to remind your employees of the Day counts as getting involved! If you’d like to go further, you can access resources via the Cycle to Work website or organise your own workplace event.
Cycle to Work Day gives employers of all sizes a platform that can be used to promote active travel and healthy living – two important themes in today’s workplaces.
If you are unaware of the benefits of encouraging staff to cycle to work, employers cite an active commute as contributing to the positive overall performance of their employees at work, with a third (33 per cent) believing cyclists and walkers are more productive, more efficient (44 per cent) and more energised (89 per cent) throughout the day. Beyond the bottom line, over one in five employers believe cycling contributes to their employees feeling happier in their jobs, and an overwhelmingly majority (98 per cent) say cyclists are healthier than their commuting counterparts.*
Here are Cycle to Work Day’s six tips for employers wishing to get involved:
1. Promote Cycle to Work Day throughout your business
2. Encourage colleagues who cycle on the day to pledge and win prizes
3. Reward colleagues that ride in with a coﬀee and a croissant, or a slice of soda bread
4. Run an event on the day to promote the beneﬁts of cycling
5. Organise a press release for local media
6. Share your stories and activities on Facebook and Twitter